Squirrelled In and Happy

I think I am finally settled into my lovely ‘Darling Buds.’ I’ve spent most of today in there, doing a spot of reading, a spot of writing, and a spot of tidying and tweaking and tiddling around with various bits and bobs so I can get the space just right. It is feeling comfortable and lived in now, and I am very happy with my very own creative space. Here then, a selection of photos for your perusal: 











And the veg garden is looking pretty lush ‘n’ green, too…



I picked the first French beans this morning, and there will be courgettes by the weekend. The sweet peas are coming in, too…


This afternoon, I popped out to the supermarket. A small child, aged about 6 or 7 years old (no idea why he wasn’t in school) was running wild with a trolley, his harassed grandparents in tow. The trolley was removed from him resulting in much howling and stomping and then the child saw a soft toy parrot.

‘I want a parrot. Can I have a parrot, Grandad?’ said the devil child.

‘No,’ said Grandad. ‘You’ve already got toy parrots.’

More yowling and stomping. Then Nana arrived on the scene. 

‘Nana,’ whined the child, ‘can I have a toy parrot?’

Nana was looking weary and non-committal. ‘Ask your Grandad. He’s paying.’

Now, instead of Grandad saying, ‘He’s already asked me and I’ve said no, end of the matter,’ Grandad shrugged.

‘How much are they?’ said Nana.

‘£4,’ said Grandad. 

‘I WANT a parrot,’ said horrid child. 

‘It’s only £4,’ said Nana.

‘Go on then,’ said Grandad, and the brat got his way.  

And THAT, dear Reader(s) is why the world is going to hell in a handcart. I’m glad I am no longer a teacher. I am glad I can squirrel myself away in Darling Buds and be a writer. 


Comments

  1. What a beautiful, calm space you have created. I could sit there for hours. About that kid… I have taken my child out of the store immediately no matter where I was in the journey of getting my groceries if she behaved like that and I would give her time to calm down if she was experiencing a melt down. I never accepted that kind of behavior in a store.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quietly thrilled with Darling Buds, KJ. She has a good vibe to her. As for that child, well goodness, I can just imagine what MY mother would have to say if I’d have behaved like that! 😂 Especially as one of her favourite sayings was ‘I want never gets.’

      Delete

Post a Comment

Happy to have comments. Pleasant and amusing ones, obviously. From real people. Decent, nice and kind people. Thanks!

Popular Posts