Beeps, Bees and Beetroot

 Today, I began harvesting some beetroot. These are they…

…aren’t they pretty? I start the early beetroot off in the greenhouse in small group modules before I transplant them into the garden so they never grow very big until I start thinning them out, but I like baby beetroot and, of course, you can eat the leaves as a salad ingredient, too. As my current beetroot batch thins, I shall sow some more to see me (fingers crossed) into Winter. These I shall direct plant and space out more so they should grow larger. I’m trying to eat beetroot most days as it is very good for the circulatory system. 

Counter-terrorism police are now involved in the murder of Ann Widdecombe. A 28-year-old man has been arrested and it is all beginning to sound very suspicious. There is something weird going on and it is unsettling me, although I can’t quite say why. Mostly, I am appalled that an older lady who lived on her own in a quiet village should be attacked and killed like this. Are women and girls ever going to be safe in this world? 

As it happens, a couple of weeks ago, I was walking through my local town (which is very small and historical and hardly a hot-bed of crime) and I experienced an unusual and growing realisation of how unsafe I felt. So much so that when I arrived home I immediately ordered three personal alarms from a company called Empowered by Ashley who are a company that work for the personal safety of women and girls . I have one alarm attached to my going-out bag, one to my dog walking bag, and the third I shall give to my darling daughter. I shouldn’t have to carry a shrieking, flashing around with me, should I? But, as darling daughter said, it can’t hurt to do so, especially if it gives me a greater sense of security.


And finally, to show that I’m not feeling completely the Queen of Doom and Gloom today, how do you like my new bees? I saw them on Etsy and they made me smile. They have sweet little faces and round orange bums, and they are beeeee-ootiful! 


Talking of Etsy, Lord Malarkey has set up an Etsy shop for his lino cut prints. The shop name is…

…Much Malarkey Manor! I mean, what else would it be? I especially like his cat prints which he calls ‘The Mewses’ as they are based on Greek mythology. Only with cats. 

Comments

Popular Posts